Will I Have to Wear A Retainer After Invisible Braces?
Invisible braces have become popular among people who want to straighten their teeth without traditional metal brackets or wires. But do you need a retainer after Invisalign® treatment from My Dentist in Plano?
The short answer is yes. Retainers are necessary after any orthodontic treatment, including Invisalign aligners, and they ensure your smile stays straight even years after you complete treatment.
In this blog post, Dr. Darren K. Dickson will discuss the benefits of invisible braces and why retainers are necessary. We also provide helpful information about taking care of your retainer in Plano.
Why choose Invisalign aligners?
Invisalign treatment involves a removable aligner that fits snugly over your upper and lower teeth. The aligners are nearly invisible, so there are no metal brackets or wires to interfere with your smile. Aligners are made of sturdy plastic and do not need to be adjusted by a dentist. Besides the occasional follow-up appointment at My Dentist in Plano, patients can complete most of the program at home. They simply need to switch out the aligners every couple of weeks until their teeth reach the desired position.
Why are retainers so important?
Patients wear invisible braces for roughly 12 – 18 months based on the current state of their teeth and cosmetic goals. Many of our patients in Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Dallas, McKinney, and Farmers Branch are excited to show off their newer and straighter smiles. However, your orthodontic treatment does not stop there. Retainers are essential because they prevent your teeth from shifting back into their original positions. Anyone who does not wear their retainer as directed may even need to repeat the treatment process.
How do I take care of my Invisalign retainer?
Dr. Dickson supplies patients with custom retainers after Invisalign treatment. We also provide detailed instructions for taking care of the retainers on a regular basis. Here are some general guidelines that apply to most patients:
- Remove your retainer before brushing or flossing. Your retainer is designed to be cleaned separately from your teeth.
- Brush the retainer with a toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Do not use chemicals like chlorine or bleach to wash the appliance.
- Store the retainer in a case when not in use. This prevents you from losing or misplacing your retainer.
- Take care not to drop the appliance, step on it, or place it near items that may damage it. Retainers are made from durable materials but can become warped if mishandled.
- Avoid playing contact sports when wearing your retainer.
- Avoid hard foods that could damage the retainers, such as caramel candy and ice cubes.
- Remember to bring your retainer with you when visiting My Dentist in Plano for routine checkups. We will clean the appliance and make sure it is in good condition.
- Adhering to proper care guidelines can help ensure your retainers stay effective. Contact us if you have questions about taking care of your aligners or retainer.
Safe and effective orthodontic treatment
Invisible braces are an excellent treatment option among adults in Plano who want a straighter smile. Now, you can improve your teeth without traditional metal brackets. If you are interested in Invisalign aligners but have questions about retainers, contact My Dentist in Plano to meet with Dr. Darren K. Dickson. We can give you the smile of your dreams through a simple and streamlined process.