Will Invisalign® Treatment Adjust my Bite?
Invisalign treatment is a popular alternative to traditional metal braces. The clear aligners are ideal for individuals who want to enhance their smiles without painful wires and brackets. Patients are also pleased to correct dental problems related to having a poor bite, also known as malocclusion.
Below, Dr. Darren K. Dickson explores the many benefits of Invisalign aligners and how they help with malocclusion. We also provide comprehensive information about what patients near Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Dallas, McKinney, and Farmers Branch can expect after Invisalign treatment. Call My Dentist in Plano to schedule a consultation or keep reading to learn more.
What is malocclusion?
Malocclusion means your teeth may not align properly when the upper and lower teeth come together. Unfortunately, a poor bite is no small dental issue and can cause many problems related to your oral health, including:
- Difficulty chewing: Malocclusion makes it difficult to bite and chew food properly.
- Teeth grinding: You may unconsciously grind your teeth, leading to problems like tooth sensitivity and jaw pain.
- Increased risk of tooth decay: It can be difficult to keep your teeth clean when they are misaligned. This means your risk of gum disease and tooth decay is increased.
Does Invisalign treatment manage malocclusion?
Invisalign aligners slowly shift your teeth into the desired position over time. This can address crooked teeth, gaps in between the teeth, and other alignment issues that make you feel self-conscious or impact your oral health.
Patients with a poor bite should schedule a consultation in Plano, TX. Dr. Dickson will perform an evaluation to determine if Invisalign treatment is right for your malocclusion. Though mild to moderate cases can often be corrected using Invisalign aligners, more severe problems may require alternative solutions.
Why choose Invisalign treatment over traditional braces?
While Invisalign aligners and traditional braces both effectively straighten teeth, several key benefits make Invisalign treatment a popular choice among patients in Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Dallas, McKinney, and Farmers Branch:
- Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible: Clear aligners are less noticeable than metal wires and brackets, making them ideal for patients who do not want to call attention to their treatment.
- Invisalign aligners are removable: Patients can take out the aligners to eat, brush, and floss as needed. This makes it easier to maintain healthier teeth and gums.
- Invisalign treatment is safer: There are no metal wires or brackets to irritate the gum tissue. This leads to fewer soft tissue injuries and a more comfortable treatment process.
What results should I expect from clear aligners?
Most patients achieve their desired Invisalign treatment results within 12 – 18 months of starting treatment. However, the length of your treatment will vary depending on the severity of your malocclusion or alignment issue. Patients will also need to wear a retainer for a short period to ensure their smiles for the long term.
Correct a poor bite
Malocclusion or a bad bite can cause many dental issues and make it difficult to enjoy your life. Invisalign treatment may improve your smile and overall oral health. To learn more about our aligners and how they help achieve your desired results, contact My Dentist in Plano and meet with Dr. Darren K. Dickson. We help patients near Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Dallas, McKinney, and Farmers Branch achieve straighter teeth and a healthier bite.